We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Prepare to party

December 7, 2021 8:51 AM

For the first time in our history, we'll be celebrating a monarch's platinum jubilee in June. The four-day party starts on June 2nd. Local councils, community groups and individuals will be wanting to organise events, and the time to start planning is now. There's a certain amount of bureaucracy involved, especially for a large event. Wiltshire Council has produced clear guidance on how to organise your celebration. That'll be on the WC website shortly, but here's a preview:


How to arrange a Community Party in Wiltshire to Celebrate the Queens Platinum Jubilee.
This document relates to community parties. Small private community parties and fetes do not normally require a licence. These parties and fetes are where groups of residents, or a community organisation, organises an event for the benefit of their neighbours or a local school.
Events held on the highway impact significantly on the existing road network and cause upset to those not taking part. Therefore, Wiltshire Council recommends that alternative venues such as public open spaces, parks, driveways, parking areas and gardens are considered for staging the event rather than using the public highway.
If you choose not to use the street, then it will be a far simpler process and a lot easier to obtain permission. Most of the local parks and some green open spaces are managed by the City, Town and Parish Councils, so permissions will need to be sought from them. If you are not sure who owns your local park or green open space, then please email Kevin Oliver at:
After considering the advice above and closing the road is the only sensible, safe and practical option, you will need to apply for an official Road Closure. Please email the Traffic Orders Department at Wiltshire Council at: for an Application Form and Guidance or visit
Please supply as much information as possible, as this will make all stages of processing your application quicker and easier. Once you have completed your application form please return it to the email address above. It is important to submit your application at least eight weeks before the day itself. If your application is outside the set timescales, then it may be rejected.
Please note: Permission for closures will not be granted on a main road, bus route or emergency vehicle priority route or if there will be a conflict with another closure that takes priority (planned/emergency works).
Road Closures
Provide a map of the roads to be closed also indicating approximate positioning of signage for the community party which must be submitted with the application.
Wiltshire Council will not charge a fee for processing a road closure application. It is important that the event organiser obtains police consent for the event and the road closure. Emergency services must also be allowed full access to the road if they request it. Therefore, it is important that the arrangement of stalls, tables and other street furniture is planned in such a way that it can be moved at short notice.

Write to your neighbours prior to applying for a road closure.
Remember that a road closure may affect other people living in your street. For this reason, event organisers are required to consult with the owners/occupiers of properties prior to submitting an application to close the road. The council recommends that you speak with your neighbours to let them know about the planned road closure and obtain their agreement that they are happy for the road to be closed and for the street party to go ahead. This is also a good opportunity to speak with people and invite them to get involved with the organisation of the community party.
You must keep a record of who you have contacted and send a copy to the council with your application. For neighbours that you have been unable to contact, you must undertake a letter drop providing details and contact numbers to enable them to make comments and representations should they wish.
Record any objections residents may have. Notify the council of any objections at least five weeks prior to the event. Please log any objections that you have been unable to resolve with residents on your street and return this to Wiltshire Council along with the Road Closure Application Form.

Complete a risk assessment - Submit this to the council for approval
We recommend that event organisers complete a risk assessment. This will help you identify any accidents that could occur and action you could take to reduce the risk. Public safety is the most important consideration in planning your community party. This should be submitted along with your application.

Signs, parking and barriers
The event organiser is responsible for ensuring adequate signage of the closure and any diversion route both prior to and during the event. All signs to be placed on the highway must be in accordance with the requirements of the Traffic Signs Manual.
Any decoration, signs or bunting must be securely fastened, must not overhang or obstruct the highway or footway and must not cause a hazard to vehicles or pedestrians. There must not be any open flames, fires or barbecues on the highway, or on the pavement.
In order to maintain access for residents and for the emergency services, a minimum clear way of 3.66m throughout the length of the closed street must be maintained. Parking of vehicles in the vicinity of barriers is prohibited and no overspill of parking is allowed in any adjacent street. Multiple parking (either side by side or head on) is also prohibited.
Stalls, tables and other objects placed on the street must not obstruct the entrance to individual properties. Additionally, please remember that street fire hydrants and indicating tablets must not be obscured in any way.

Temporary Event Notice
If you wish to carry out any of the following licensable activities at your event you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).
 Sell alcohol by retail
 Supply hot food or hot drink after 23:00 or before 05:00 on any day. This includes takeaways, cafés, mobile hot food vans and any other venue providing hot food or hot drink
 Provide regulated entertainment such as performance of a play, exhibition of a film, indoor sporting events, boxing and wrestling, live or recorded music
and performance of dance.
Large scale events which are likely to attract over 500 people will require Premises Licence instead of a TEN. Any individual of 18 years or over can apply for a TEN. There are two types of TEN: a standard TEN and a late TEN. These are subject to different processes: a standard notice is given no later than ten working days before the event to which it relates; and a late notice is given not before nine and not later than five working days before the event.

Are there any events which are exempt from needing a TEN?
Yes, as a result of deregulatory changes that have amended the 2003 Act there are several activities that no longer require a licence. For an up to date list of all exemptions please refer to For more information and to apply for a TEN online please see the following link

Parking suspensions
If you do not want cars to be parked on the street during the event, we would like you to tell us when you apply for the road closure. If you cannot say at this stage, you'll need to let our Parking Services Team know at least two weeks before the event.
Contact: Parking Services at:

Organise reflective barriers and directional signs
We ask that the event organisers arrange for temporary reflective 'Road Closed' barriers to be placed at the points of road closures in order to alert motorists.
Organisers are also responsible for placing and taking down diversion signs. The 'Road Closed' barriers should be manned at all times by a responsible person.
The organiser must also provide diversion signs along the agreed diversion route. Signs reading "Diverted Traffic" with an arrow pointing in the appropriate direction must be clearly displayed and securely fixed along the alternative route. All barriers, signs and obstructions must be removed from the highway at the conclusion of the event.

If you intend to play music, then you must ensure that the volume of noise from music systems and CD players etc. is kept at reasonable levels to avoid disturbing residents that are not attending.

The street must be left in a clean and safe condition.

The organiser will be responsible for clearing all litter, waste and equipment from the street at the end of the party. As the event is a community event, organised by residents and attended by residents, the waste on this occasion, will be treated as household waste. Please take the waste home, recycle where possible and it will be collected on the normal waste collection day.

Public Liability Insurance
There is no law that says you must buy insurance for a voluntary or community event - but you might want to make sure you are covered in case something goes wrong and someone makes a claim against you. Having public liability insurance may give you peace of mind, but it's good planning, not insurance that stops things going wrong. Small community events are exempt from the requirement for public liability insurance only when:
 The event is not publicised for the general public and therefore will not draw in people from the wider area.
 The event applies to the residents of one or two streets and attendance will generally involve less than 150 people.
 There is no amplified entertainment which may cause nuisance to the wider area.
 There is no alcohol or food being sold.
It is recommended that you take out adequate Public Liability Insurance (PLI) if you decide to put on an activity that could cause harm to someone such as operating a barbeque or hiring in devices such as a bouncy castle or children's amusement rides.

Further information
If you have any questions about formulating a risk assessment or just general health and safety advice on organising a safe community party in Wiltshire, please speak with Kevin Oliver, Events Authorising Officer on 01380 826335 or 07825 400377.

Community Events - FAQs and checklist
Q. How do I tell people about the community event ?
A. Inviting people face to face is a must to get people involved. You need to send round paper invitations - this will be needed to show the Council that you have 'consulted' everyone.
Most community events are for residents only and there is no outside "publicity" (that would make it a public event). Remember to include local businesses in your consultation if they would be affected by your road closure.
Q. Who organises the community event?
A. There should be a lead person from the street who can apply for the road closure order on behalf of the residents. This person should also be the main contact for the council and the emergency services.
Q. Do we need insurance cover?
A. The risks at most community events are usually very low and so the risk of liability to organisers is low. Planning a safe event is the best way of reducing risks, therefore make sure you have completed a suitable and sufficient risk assessment. However, the council do advise you to consider taking out public liability insurance cover if you are planning to have a bouncy castle/inflatable, BBQ or a children's entertainment ride. If you are planning to have a bouncy castle/inflatable at your event please ensure you request the suppliers PLI, risk assessment and the Engineers Equipment Inspection Certificate (ADIPS or PIPA).
Q. Do I need a Risk Assessment?
A. Yes. There may be risks that are only applicable to your party area, so you should produce a risk assessment to ensure it reflects your own location and event. This will need to be submitted as part of the application process.
Q. We're serving alcoholic drinks - do we need an alcohol licence?
A. No, licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private community event, sharing drinks with neighbours does not require a license. If you do want to sell alcohol, you will need to contact the Wiltshire Council Licensing to make an application for a Temporary Events Notice. The fee for this is £21. Please email
Q. We're playing music - do we need an entertainment licence?
A. No, if your community event is a private get together for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people, and you're not making money, then there is no need for a license for your music, whether it is live or recorded.
Q. Do we need a permit to serve food?
A. No, as a community event you do not need a licence under the Licensing Act 2003 to sell food (unless you want to only sell hot food and drink after 11pm). Remember you can always ask your neighbours to bake a cake, make a sandwich or bring food to share with one another. This is also a good way to bring different groups of people together.
Q. We're having a tombola/raffle - do we need permission?
A. Probably not. If the tombola/raffle tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not worth more than £500 in total then it will be exempt from gambling regulations (however, if tickets are sold in advance of the event, you will need a lottery registration, but do contact the Council first to check). Any proceeds from the tombola/raffle must go to a good cause such as charity or covering the cost of your party. Alternatively, if you did want to raise some money for your local church or charity, you can always ask people for donations.
Q. How do I close the road?
A. You must have a road closure order in place to close the road. The order will identify the times from when you can close the road. Remember that members of the public cannot stop traffic to close a road, wait until there is no traffic approaching and then put out your road closed signs. Please remember; you cannot legally stop vehicles from entering or driving down a road unless a road closure order has been granted.
Q. Where can I get Road Closed signs?
A. Wiltshire Council does not have a supply of road closed / diversion signs. Applicants should make arrangements with a local Traffic Management company to hire the appropriate signage. Do not forget to take down all signage after the event.
Q. Do I need to have marshals?
A. Although there is no need to employ qualified people to marshal your event, it is good practice to nominate some of your residents to position themselves by the road closure signs to answer any questions from vehicle drivers and also to stop nonresidents from 'gate-crashing' your event.
Q. Do we need to clean up afterwards?
A. Yes, you will need to clean up after your community event. It's your road, your event, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the event will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling. Remember that the clean-up time should be considered when applying for the road closure order so that the clean-up can be safely undertaken while the road is closed.
What do I need to do now?
i) Start by asking a couple of neighbours you know whether they are keen. Agree a date early on.
ii) Invite the whole street to the first meeting and look to hold two or three more meetings to chat and plan to ensure everyone is happy and kept informed. Keep
meetings informal and share out the activities and jobs.
iii) Complete the road closure application form and send it to Traffic Orders at
If you require any further information or advice, contact: Kevin Oliver, Authorising Officer on 01380 826335 or 07825 400377.