votefortrev@yahoo.co.uk
We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Is Wiltshire Council fly-tipping in Turkey?

May 21, 2021 3:07 PM
By WC

There have been reports in the media recently about plastic from the UK being sent to Turkey to be burnt. That won't be ours, as neither Wiltshire Council or its waste contractors export any plastics to Turkey.

More than 5,450 tonnes of plastic, collected from Wiltshire households and the household recycling centres, were sent for recycling in 2019/20.

72% of this went to re-processing plants in the UK, where it was pelletised and sold to the manufacturing industry. The remaining 28% went to recycling plants in Germany, Spain, Belgium, and the Netherlands.

WC has signed up to the Resource Associations' End Use of Recycling Charter, which provides transparency on the destinations of all recycled materials. The council gets monthly reports from our contractors that detail where all collected materials are sent for re-processing or disposal.

So the answer to the question should be 'No'.